City of Newport, MN

Washington County Sheriff's Office

                                      Code Red

Animal Control

Code Enforcement


Youth Curfew

Ordinances / Regulations

Night to Unite


City of Newport
596 7th Avenue
Newport, MN 55055
Phone: (651) 459-5677
Fax: (651) 459-9883

Hours: Monday - Thursday
8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.


The condition of one property has a direct effect on neighboring properties.  If a house or property shows signs of deterioration, it will have a negative effect on neighboring properties.  These effects include:

  • Decreasing property values
  • Unable to sell a house / property
  • Increased criminal activity
  • Littering and illegal dumping

This is why the City of Newport takes a proactive approach to code enforcement.  Your property may be inspected if a complaint is made regarding the condition of your property, or if City staff notices a violation upon your property.

Common Exterior Code Violations

  • Damaged exterior material, including peeling paint or other damaged finishes upon the house, garage, fence or shed
  • Disrepair of fences, retaining walls, or other structures
  • No address numbers on the house or garage
  • Garbage not in a closed container
  • Snow, garbage, or leaves deposited in the street
  • Weeds or grass over eight (8) inches in height
  • Vehicles that are inoperable or have improper registration
  • Exterior storage of materials, equipment or personal property
  • More than two (2) accessory buildings on a property, including a covered storage building


What do I do if I receive a notice violation? 
DO NOT IGNORE IT!  Please take the necessary steps to correct the issues listed on the notice.  If you do not understand or need more time to correct the issue, be sure to call Newport City Hall immediately.  Failure to comply may result in enforcement actions such as fines, a formal court complaint, or City facilitated abatement (with the costs assessed to the property).

How do I report a code violation?

If an ordinance violation cannot be resolved through neighbor-to-neighbor cooperation, the City of Newport may be contacted to assist. Complaints may be filed with the city in person, by email, regular mail, and throught the City's Homepage. The City and County are responsible for enforcement vehicle, nuisance, and building and property maintenance complaints. All complainants are kept anonymous.

To report a possible violation please contact Newport City Hall, 596 7th Avenue, Newport, MN 55055 (651) 459-5677, you can also e-mail City Hall at or you can fill out this form.